Saturday, January 25, 2014

Music: "Let It Go" by Idina Menzel

Music is an integral part of my life, but I almost never talk about it. I know very few of the technical terms, so I doubt my ability to describe what I hear in terms others can understand.

I'd like to get a bit better about sharing things I love, though, so lets spend the next few Saturdays talking about music.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've listened to Idina Menzel's rendition of "Let It Go" in the four days since I saw FROZEN, Disney's newest animated musical. It's exactly the sort of hopeful, sadly joyous song that never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

Elsa, one of the film's central characters, has spent at least a decade in isolation, afraid to get close to anyone or experiment with her powers in case she hurts someone. Then the worst happens. She loses control and reveals her magic to the world.

"Let It Go" is the moment she quits trying to be perfect. She embraces her self-imposed exile because it means she can finally discover who she is, rather than who others want her to be. For the first time since she was a very small child, she takes pure, unbridled joy in her abilities. She plays.

It gets me every single time.

I'll note, too, that it's well worth watching the video for this one. (Disney made it available themselves, so you needn't worry about the legality.) Hurray for great animation!

6 comments:

  1. I really like her singing and this is no exception! I must see the movie at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful! I expected to like it, given everything I'd heard about it, but I had no idea I'd end up loving it this much.

      Delete
  2. Ah, Frozen. I liked it so much more than I was expecting to, and I obviously want Idina Menzel to sing as many songs as possible. They just better get her to sing it at the Oscars -- I've heard some talk of getting Demi Lovato to do it instead? Which seems insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nooooo! I mean, I'm sure Demi Lovato is a lovely person, but the promise of Idina Menzel singing live at the Oscars is, like, a balm upon my tortured soul. Or whatever the less melodramatic version of that is.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I've also been listening to "Frozen Heart" on repeat. SO GOOD.

      Delete